Friday, October 4, 2013

It's a Learning Game


On Saturday, Caley and I took the shoppers bus to the mall. We really didn’t need much but it was Mommy and Caley time. I didn’t take the stroller because I had taken a big bag and a little trolley for the bag to put the stuff in so that I didn’t have to carry it all. At first we hung out with Miguel, Sarah and Liam. Ikea has breakfast so a lot of people eat at Ikea while they wait for other stores to open. We sat with our friends while they ate breakfast (we had already eaten, but next time we will try the Ikea breakfast! I helped out our friends while they shopped for a couch at Ikea. Then Caley and I ventured off and did some shopping at the grocery store and office supply store. Caley was a trooper and did all the walking with hardly any complaints! Although bribery with a doughnut sure does work!!! We had a great time together and enjoyed our alone time!

Caley eating her pizza!

Caley and Liam watching the IPad

On Sunday I started taking an Arabic conversational class. Interesting to say the least and I have a few things down but with my Texan twang I’m sure I’m saying things wrong!!! Sabah Alkhair means “Good Moring” and you reply Sabah AlNour… Keef Halic means, “How are you” But the best part is learning that if you speak to a lady you say it this way, to a man another way and yet to a group another way! YIKES!!!! I have my notes in my purse so that I can check before I decide to try something out! I attended two classes and will attend two more next week. It’s been fun so far. Although you don’t need to know much Arabic here because most people speak English!

I also decided Sunday that Caley and I would head to the grocery story (to get things I couldn’t get on Saturday) after I took Macey to school. I went to the commissary to check mail first and was going to call a taxi only to find out that the phone I had didn’t have the number in it. So I drove back home looked all over for the number at the house plus also look for my iPhone which had the number in it. Well never found my phone till later in the day which one of the girls had put it in one of my dresser drawers….Finally find the number, called it and then they said there is no taxi…..should have stopped right there but he said to call in 10 minutes so I did. They sent one out and Caley and I were on a mission to get food! We go in start in the produce section get lots of fruits and veggies. Got some bread and then headed to the deli counter. While we were there the lights went off. No big deal, nobody said anything and we continue our shopping. I go to check out, called the taxi to come and get me thinking that when I’m finished checking out they would be there. BUT…there was no one at the registers…. A guy comes up and says It is break time and it would be at least 15 minutes. What??? I didn’t have that kind of time, I needed to get back unload groceries and then run and pick up Macey from school. So the guy then tells me 10 minutes. I told him I couldn’t wait and that my taxi was on the way. He then says 5 minutes. I said no again and left to leave the store only to find the door locked and my taxi outside. The same guy gets the keys and we see the taxi leave but was able to get out to wave the taxi down. I apologized to him because I left a very full cart of groceries sitting at the counter. Needless to say I need to check the prayer times although I was in that store for some time and nobody said anything but the lights did go off (should have been my clue). Oh the joy of living in the land of sand!!!!

Our car is defiantly testing us. It died on me after my second Arabic class and luckily it was close to lunch time so Michael’s principal drove him over to jump the car. We know that there is something draining the battery but Michael can’t really test it out because he doesn’t have his stuff here. So in the mean time we were pulling a fuse in and out to stop a fan that was coming on when the car was shut off. But we stopped doing that after it died on us again and now we are just disconnecting the battery. Oh the car saga but hey we paid cash for the car and will be able to do repairs as soon as Michael’s tools come in!

We keep learning the process of how things work around here. We have to just bite the bullet and realize that things happen in their own time and not in our time! “In Shalala! As they say here, “God willing!” Our most recent issue is getting the girl’s and I’s igamas  (residence cards). We have to have these items before we can submit our multi entry/exit visas. So, we were hoping to be able to go to Bahrain over the next break which is on Thursday October 10th and goes until October 19th. It looks like we will be stuck here! Boo!!!! Unless a miracle happens! But we won’t be the only ones left behind because it seems that half of the new hire families got their stuff and the rest didn’t. And because I am not working I am not at the top of the priority…We will wait and see!

The mom and tots group went well this week. I read The Very Hungary Caterpillar then we made caterpillars. We will read the story again next week and make butterflies! Overall it was fun and the Mom’s enjoyed it to!

The girls got invited to their first birthday party this week and had a blast playing with the other kids, eating pizza, popcorn and cake! They even bobbed for apples which didn’t really turn out very well so they just picked up the apple instead of getting it in their mouth.  The party was a Halloween themed party. I wished I would have gotten a picture of the girls in their outfits. I told them to pick something from their dress-up box. Both pick out their Superman/girl cape. Macey chose to wear her cowboy boots and Caley chose her Minnie Mouse dress-up shoes/heals! They were a sight but cute!

A funny story from Caley…She has this little toy, I think it goes to a Minnie Mouse toy, smaller than a dime purse looking thing. Any ways she tells Michael and I that she can’t find it in her bed. She went to sleep with it during nap time, don’t worry I was laying with her. Any ways she tells us it is her Pixie Dust! I found it in her bed and Michael tells her to put some on her head. She looked at Michael and said in her very sweet voice, “It’s only for emergencies, Daddy!”  Oh she is so serious sometimes!!! But makes us laugh!
Bonus:

Michael thinks that this must be a baby snake, looks like a worm, but moves like a snake. Girls got a kick out of watching it!
 
 

Until next time be blessed!

As’salam Alikum ~ Peace be with you!

The Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment